Monday, April 28, 2014

Building a New Generation of Collectors

If you know anything about me, you should know that I like to combine collecting with goodwill when I can. If you're reading this, you're probably the same. Most everybody I've met in the blogosphere is. This weekend I thought of a new plan to make that happen.

In Wichita we have an upstart non-profit that aims to introduce baseball to inner city kids who may not have the means to do so otherwise. Over the last 30 years, baseball has given way to football and basketball due to lesser barriers of entry for a lot of children. The foundation is named League 42 in honor of a certain baseball pioneer that wore #42.

Not Tom Goodwin

My thought was simple. While these kids are learning how baseball is played, why not introduce them to one of the best parts of the game... the cards! I contacted the founder of League 42, who happens to be a friend of mine, and asked him if they'd have any use for some old and new baseball cards. He liked the idea and I liked the idea of clearing out my closet. 

I didn't want to hand them shoeboxes full of junk wax, so I decided to mix up my unwanted junk wax (I consider most 2005-2014 base cards to be just as junky as 1982-1994) and repack them. That way the kids get the excitement of ripping a pack, only to be happy or be Bipped. Here's a sample of cards that I included.

Kids love mustaches, right?

Half of the kids probably own one of those hats.

Kids don't mind unsymmetrical designs. 

This is appealing to everyone, no matter your age.

This will be etched into their brain when it's time to slide.

This card is older than most of their parents.

Kids don't complain about a lack of logos.

This guy debuted before their great grandparents were born and retired after they were born.

In reality, I expect that 95% of the kids will toss the cards out on the way home from the park. That's okay though! If just one kid gets hooked, then it'll be entirely worth it. Even if not, at least my closet will have more space.

5 comments: